The church was built, starting from 1633, to give Breno a more convenient and adequate parish compared to the church of St. Maurizio. On the simple front face emerges the rich portal, while at the beginning of the left side there are three walled-in tombstones, among which a Roman epigraph dedicated to the Sun God. The inside is broad and monumental: a giant Corinthian order defines the space framing the arches of the six side chapels. In the second half of the 19th century the church underwent some important revisions such as the raising of the vaults, the opening of big windows and the reshaping of the presbyterial space. The decoration of the new interior was entrusted to Antonio Guadagnini, who already did some work in 1854 on the counterface, and between 1871 and 1872 frescoed scenes and figures along the naves and on the vaults. The church is endowed with a very rich property of altars and
valuable paintings. The high altar, with decorations, reliefs, statues in polychrome marbles, dates back to the third decade of the 18th century. The first altar on the left is dedicated to Saint Siro; the splendid wooden frontal, carved by Giovanni Giuseppe Piccini, was recently robbed of some elements. The next chapel contains the 18th century marble altar of the Madonna of Rosary, a work by Andrea Fantoni. In the church, following an ancient tradition, at the end of January a great Machine of the Triduum of the Dead is prepared.
WHAT TO SEE
The 17th-18th century altars and the rich property of paintings.
IN THE SURROUNDINGS
The medieval town, with towers and palaces; the church of St. Antonio, the church of St. Maurizio, the church of St. Maria al Ponte and the church of St. Valentino; the CaMus – Camunian Museum; villa Gheza; Ronchi square; the castle; Nostalgia Club, the Museum of vintage cars and motorcycles; the Minerva sanctuary (Spinera area).